- The British Challenger for the 35th America’s Cup will launch their America’s Cup Class Race Boat ‘R1’ in December 2016
- Land Rover BAR head to Oman on 26 – 28 February for next leg of the America’s Cup World Series
- Land Rover reveals key technical areas where expertise is being applied to the Land Rover BAR boat development
- Jaguar Land Rover’s highly skilled engineers and Land Rover BAR marry knowledge to gain performance advantage over competitors
- Land Rover BAR CEO Martin Whitmarsh confident ‘F1 on water’ will be won with the help of Land Rover’s vast engineering capabilities
Land Rover reveals the technical areas of collaboration currently in development to help create the fastest America’s Cup boat with Land Rover BAR. Typically shrouded in secrecy by the teams racing to win the America’s Cup, this release of information ahead of the first 2016 event of the Louis Vuitton America’s Cup World Series in Oman, Muscat (26-28 February), is a rarity in what is labelled as the most challenging design race in sport.
Land Rover is applying its design, technology and innovation expertise to the America’s Cup Class boat, a multihull catamaran code-named ‘R1’. The boat, weighing over two tonnes, will be capable of speeds in excess of 50knots thanks to a technique known as foiling where the boat lifts clear out of the water to fly on hydrofoils, reducing drag and increasing boat speed and efficiency.